18th January 2021
Jurassic Coast Osteopathy remains open for patients during lockdown as appointments for health/medical, including non-emergencies are permitted. Osteopaths as Allied Health Professionals (along with eg physiotherapists, chiropractors and podiatrists) are included in 'medical appointments' which is one of the 'reasonable excuses' to leave your home.
We are continuing to keep our infection control at high levels and telephoning all patients to screen and risk assess them before booking face-to-face appointments.
We are following the latest Government guidelines on ventilation for allowing fresh air in from outside
- our clinic windows have trickle vents which are open all the time
- weather allowing the windows are on the latch or left open during treatment and/or between patients (although we balance this against the need for patients to be warm and comfortable while having treatment)
- we have a HEPA air filter with carbon filter units running continuously in the treatment room and ventilate the room between patients.
Please read the following information carefully & if you have any other questions, please call Helena directly on 07805 650667.
Can I come to the clinic for ‘hands-on’ osteopathic treatment?
YES - unless you are feeling unwell, have any symptoms of Covid-19 or if your or anyone in your house has been self-isolating for less than 10 days before your appointment because of symptoms or a positive test, or if you are waiting for a test or confirmation of a test result or in any other circumstance that the osteopaths consider there is a possible risk of transmission during their pre-appointment screening and risk assessment;
YES with a caveat for people who have been shielding - if you have been advised you are in the ‘high risk/clinically extremely vulnerable group’ you should consider speaking to your consultant or GP before making an appointment if you have not done so before and the osteopath will further discuss options when they do a pre-screening risk assessment call before you attend. Where you are advised not to attend the clinic in person, Helena & Vitor are able to offer video consultations and for anyone else who is nervous about coming in person for any reason;
YES for most people (even if you are in the ‘moderate risk/clinically vulnerable’ group eg over 70, pregnant, very obese, diabetic or have a chronic health condition), Helena and Vitor will carry out a telephone-based health screening risk assessment shortly before your appointment (& for your chaperone if you have one) to ensure a face-to-face visit is essential, appropriate and safe for all involved - if it is, they will also take details of your problem on the telephone to reduce the time spent talking in the clinic at the physical appointment.
What precautions are being taken to minimise the risks of Covid-19 transmission in the clinic?
- the osteopaths are taking their own temperature every day, if it is above 37.8 or if they have any symptoms of Covid-19 or are feeling unwell or any of the other restrictions apply, they will cancel all appointments & follow the appropriate Government advice at that time;
- fewer patients will be seen each day to reduce the footfall in the clinic and timed appointments to avoid cross-over between patients;
- the clinic is using the back door to limit cross-traffic in Reception; please help us by parking in the rear car park then calling or texting your osteopath on the number supplied in your appointment confirmation and waiting in your car until you are called to come to the back door. If someone has driven you, unless they are your chaperone or you need their help for another reason, please ask them to wait in the car until you return;
- Helena & Vitor will be wearing full PPE in line with current Public Health England guidelines for every patient
- we will be asking every patient (and their chaperone if present) to wear a minimum standard of type IIR facemark in the clinic unless they are exempt or under 11; please wear your own mask to the clinic as normal and then change it for a type IIR if necessary;
- please bring as little as possible with you (bags etc) and wear loose, comfortable clothes & shoes that you can easily slip on & off;
- you will be asked to sanitise your hands on entry to the building or clinic and on leaving (hand-washing facilities are also available, please ask); the osteopaths wash their hands between every patients & sanitise them before & during consultations;
- there is a strict cleaning routine in place between every patient in the clinic & cleaning at the start & end of every day of all contact surfaces including door handles, treatment bench & wipeable pillows, chair seats & arms, card machines, pens, desk, sanitiser bottles etc. Door handles, toilets & other contact surfaces outside the clinic also have a heightened daily cleaning regime by Lynch Lane Offices;
- changes to the clinic setup have been made to reduce the time that patient and osteopath are at less than 2 metres - the ‘talking’ part of the consultation will be done in advance over the telephone for all patients as above, the ‘assessment’ part will be done in the larger of the two rooms which allows for more 2m distancing and the treatment part will be done in the smaller, ventilated/air filtered room which minimises the time together at less than 2 metres.
Although the Osteopaths are doing all they can to reduce the risks of transmission in the clinic, these can never be eliminated entirely or a risk of 'zero' guaranteed - if you are uncomfortable about this, please discuss with your osteopath in advance of your appointment.
What other changes should I know about?
- payment by credit/debit card is preferred
- appointment days & times will be initially limited to allow for cleaning protocols & reducing the overall number of patients through the clinic, this may mean we will not be able to offer exactly the day/time you request, please bear with us as circumstances change to allow us to be more flexible;
- fees for follow-up appointments will be increased from £42 to £45, this covers the cost price of the additional PPE, cleaning materials, telephone calls & changes to the clinic; we are asking patients to donate £1 for any IIR masks we provide as providing them to potentially every patient is a significant additional cost to us;
- new patient fees are £55; the clinic regrets that at this time we are unable to honour any vouchers/discounts/offers that were in place before March 23rd 2020 as circumstances have changed since those vouchers/offers were made.